On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 14:30:56 -0700 (PDT)
Bill Unruh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Apr 2006, Sergei Steshenko wrote:
>

> >> OK, I put in the SB Live card. It has the emu10k1 chip on it
> >>
> >> alsaconf still won't see the card.
> >>
> >> Slackware 10.2 standard install alsa-driver-1.0.9b
> >>
> >> Any Ideas what could be going on?
> >>

> > SB-live has worked for years with ALSA.
> >
> > I'd suggest to download MEPIS 3.4.3 (LiveCD/installable Debian-based
> > dirstro,
> > www.mepis.org) - should recognize the card during boot, end user wouldn't
> > have to
> > edit a single line, KMix should pop up automatically when KDE is up and
> > running.
> >
> > A nice distro by the way, I'm seriously considering switching to it, from
> > now on will be closely related to Ubuntu.
>
> While that might be true, advising a user to install a brand new distro to
> make their soundcard work is a bit weird and especially telling them that
> for each time they install a new card is pretty extreme.
> His problem seems to be primarily the loading of oss moduels rather than
> alsa ones.
>
> Yes, the installation guis should probably handle everything even on
> Slackware.

I didn't advise the guy to install a new distro.

I have pointed out that it is BOTH LiveCD AND installable distro.

And this distro, when run even as live CD, does see existing Linux partitions
and can mount them RW.

And the user can copy ALSA (or any other for that matter) configuration to
his/her existing Linux partitions and then run his/her existing distro with
the newly acquired configuration from a working setup.

I once used this approach to resolve X11 configuration issue.

So, my approach is not at all extreme and I would appreciate not
misinterpreting my suggestions.