On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 02:11:25 -0700 (PDT)
Mo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> I would like to construct a dedicated system for recording five
> discrete audio feeds (voice-quality) via the line-in jacks each of five
> sound cards.  Spent the weekend tinkering, but was never able to get
> any Linux configuration to work fully with more than one card at a
> time, despite each card working independently, and all five working
> together under Windows.
>
> Before I tear the remaining hairs out of my head, if anyone has
> successfully implemented five (cheap) soundcards with Alsa, for
> recording purposes, could you relate your chosen Linux distribution,
> choice of card and any caveats?

As long as you don't expect sample sync between the seperate soundcards,
it should be verymuch possible to record from 5 different soundcards at
once, i.e. with 5 arecord processes.

arecord -f cd -Dplughw:0

arecord -f cd -Dplughw:1

arecord -f cd -Dplughw:2

arecord -f cd -Dplughw:3

arecord -f cd -Dplughw:4

As you don't really specify what your usecase is in more detail, it is
really impossible to help you with your nonspecified problems.

Flo

--
Palimm Palimm!
http://tapas.affenbande.org