From: "Hemmann, Volker Armin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 19:59:53 +0200

On Thursday 13 April 2006 14:26, David Bell wrote:

> #alsamixer
> alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device

I get this error because of:
a stale /etc/asound.state
a corrupted /etc/asound.state

have you tried removing it?

when alsamixer does not complain anymore, play around with the muted switches,
one of them has to be changed - but I forgot which one. I think this one:
Audigy Analog/Digital Output Jack

Volker

That file does not exist on my system...

From: Clemens Ladisch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 17:30:57 +0200

David Bell wrote:
> #cat /proc/asound/cards
> 0 [CA0106         ]: CA0106 - CA0106
>                      Audigy SE [SB0570] at 0xd400 irq 11

So the driver loads and has detect the card.

> alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device

This is some other configuration problem.  What are the contents of
/proc/asound/devices and the output of "ls -l /dev/snd/"?

Regards,
Clemens

# cat /proc/asound/devices
 0: [ 0]   : control
 8: [ 0- 0]: raw midi
16: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
17: [ 0- 1]: digital audio playback
18: [ 0- 2]: digital audio playback
19: [ 0- 3]: digital audio playback
24: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
25: [ 0- 1]: digital audio capture
26: [ 0- 2]: digital audio capture
27: [ 0- 3]: digital audio capture
33:        : timer

#ls -l /dev/snd/
ls: /dev/snd/: No such file or directory

When i run alsaconf it does pick the card up... but im unsure as to how to troubleshoot as i have had little experience with ALSA.

Thanks for the help so far.
David