On Sat, 2006-04-22 at 18:18 -0700, Mike Nolley wrote:
> Hi.  I've narrowed down the problems with the Layla.  I decided to
> reinstall everything, with Fedora 3 and all of the new Alsa drivers,
> firmware, tools, etc.  The whole shebang.  The problem is inserting
> the Layla.  I get this error, documented in the install notes at
> http://www.webalice.it/g_pochini/ead/
>
> From the website:
>
> The driver compiles fine, but the modules can't load. modprobe
> complains:
> Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
> and dmegs show errors like these:
> snd_darla20: disagrees about version of symbol snd_pcm_new
> snd_darla20: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_new
> Every symbol in the kernel (symbols are function names, variable
> names, etc.) have a version number attached. The version number
> depends on: compiler, kernel, some kernel config, architecture. All of
> them must match otherwise you are not allowed to load a module. The
> purpose is to prevent the user to load incompatible modules. So, when
> you compile a kernel module (alsa in this case) you must use the same
> gcc and the same kernel sources with the same .config of the kernel
> you're running. Sometimes distibutions ship with an unconfigured
> kernel sources tree. You can either guess the right configuration
> (unlikely) or configure and compile your own kernel, install it and
> compile and install alsa.

This means ALSA was installed incorrectly, for example if the modules
were compiled against the wrong kernel.  The most common cause is
compiling new ALSA modules and trying to install them while some of the
old modules were loaded.

If you compile new ALSA modules you must rmmod all the old ones before
modprobe'ing the new ones

Lee