Hello,

On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 01:30:12PM +0300, Niv wrote:

> problem:
> Code:
>  $ cat /proc/asound/cards
>  0 [AudioPCI       ]: ENS1371 - Ensoniq AudioPCI
>                       Ensoniq AudioPCI ENS1371 at 0x9c00, irq 11
>  1 [U0x46d0x8a2    ]: USB-Audio - USB Device 0x46d:0x8a2
>                       USB Device 0x46d:0x8a2 at usb-0000:02:07.1-1, full
> speed
>  2 [CS46xx         ]: CS46xx - Sound Fusion CS46xx
>                       Sound Fusion CS46xx at 0xe3128000/0xe3000000, irq 11
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ su
> Password:
> bigone niv # /etc/init.d/alsasound restart
> bigone niv # cat /proc/asound/cards
>  0 [CS46xx         ]: CS46xx - Sound Fusion CS46xx
>                       Sound Fusion CS46xx at 0xe3128000/0xe3000000, irq 11
>  1 [AudioPCI       ]: ENS1371 - Ensoniq AudioPCI
>                       Ensoniq AudioPCI ENS1371 at 0x9c00, irq 11
>  2 [U0x46d0x8a2    ]: USB-Audio - USB Device 0x46d:0x8a2
>                       USB Device 0x46d:0x8a2 at usb-0000:02:07.1-1, full
> speed

I suffered for a few days with a similar problem after
upgrading my system to a 2.6 kernel with udev.

It was exciting to have brought my rig to a recording gig,
and suddenly none of my .asoundrc assignments worked!

After some head scratching and posting to the list, I
learned that the card order can be fixed by adding 'index=n'
options to the drivers in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base such as:

options snd-via82xx index=0
options snd-ice1712 index=1

Here is a summary of some responses related to this
question.

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006,

Matthias Koenig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> had noted:

        The correct Debian location for configuration files for new
        kernels is /etc/modprobe.d/.  If you append the 2 option
        lines above to e.g. alsa-base it should work.  You don't
        have to run update-modules, because it is obsolete.

Christoph Burger-Scheidlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> had added:

        Is it important to specify the order of the soundcards
        (e.g. using OSS applications such as skype), or do you
        just need to have a unique name for each soundcard? If
        so, you can just use the names of the sound cards as
        they are printed in /proc/asound/cards like so:

        /proc/asound/cards:

           0 [I82801DBICH4   ]: ICH4 - Intel 82801DB-ICH4
                                                        Intel 82801DB-ICH4 with
AD1981B at 0x24000800, irq 11
           1 [Modem          ]: ICH-MODEM - Intel 82801DB-ICH4 Modem
                                                        Intel 82801DB-ICH4
Modem at 0x1400, irq 11
        /etc/asound.con:

           # CARD DEFINITIONS

           pcm.intel       { type hw; card I82801DBICH4 }
           ctl.intel       { type hw; card I82801DBICH4 }

           pcm.intelModem  { type hw; card Modem }
           ctl.intelModem  { type hw; card Modem }

Bill Unruh had added:

        It is almost always important to have at least a
        consistant order. Ie, one of the soundcards is ALWAYS
        number 0. The problem is that the systems seem to often
        do it randomly so that one cannot plan anything. This is
        horrible.

Richard Fish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> noted:

        Gentoo has /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6, where you
        can place modules to be loaded on boot, and they are
        loaded in the same order they appear in the file.  The

FWIW, I had similar ordering problems with assignment of
eth0, eth1 with an onboard ethernet interface and a
usb-ethernet adapter.

I had upgraded to a 2.6 kernel containing udev, and this
problem persisted until I installed the udev /dev and
hotplug management daemon.
--
Joel Roth