Lee Revell wrote:
>>> Hardware mixing no, full duplex yes
>> What is the benefit of hardware mixing at all?
> 1. It Just Works
Ok,... but in principle it does not give me features/quality that are not
achiveable via software mixign

> 2. Less CPU usage
That should not be my problems,... 4 cores availble for this ;)

>> So if I buy an expensive soundcard like this (it costs about € 150,00) should
>> the card have the hardware mixing feature?
> I don't think any new cards support it.  The trend is to do all mixing
> in software these days - CPUs are fast and it makes the hardware
> cheaper.
So the Aureon 7.1 Universe should be a good choice, or not?
Or is there a card with same features / price class that I should prefer?

>> What my card should be able to do is (of course with all additional features
>> like 7.1 sound and so on)...
>> - esound (or any other sound daemon) should be able to access the card so
>> that
>> GNOME applications that use esd can play sounds or record audio
>> - but in each case it should be possible for other processes to access the
>> ALSA
>> devices too (both playing and recording); like mplayer,.. or gstreamer
>> applications if I set up gst to use ALSA).
>> - and I want Ekiga (gnomemeeting, or any other VoIP software to be able to
>> open
>> conferences (multiple conferences too, although I think Ekiga itself does not
>> support this yet) - which means Ekiga must be able to play and record audio
>> (via
>> ALSA but not ESD) - AND !! while doing this (communication via VoIP) I still
>> want to hear my other system sounds (those from GNOME via esd or other ALSA
>> using applications.
>>
>> Ok,.. so of course full duplex is required for all the above (otherwise I
>> would
>> not be able to record and hear simultaneously).
>> But is hardware mixing required for this? If so,.. can all this achieved
>> (without any drawbacks to the hardware mixing way !!!) via software mixing?
>
> Hardware mixing makes it much easier but it should work with software
> mixing (dmix)
Ok,.. than all this (especially running Ekiga and don't require to stop esd or
so) is possible with dmix, too. I just have to read into the configuration ;)
Correct?

>> I'm very sure that ESD runs in ALSA mode, because I don't have activated any
>> OSS
>> stuff in the kernel (not even the wrappers), and I've installed the Debian
>> package libesd-alsa0.
>>

> OK that should not block the soundcard (try lsof /dev/dsp or
> fuser /dev/dsp to be sure), or don't load the snd-pcm-oss module, and
> you won't get a /dev/dsp at all.
I even don't have these modules compiled, nor do I have /dev/dsp*

Regards,
Chris.