On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 17:24 -0400, Weevil wrote:
> hello,
>
> i installed slax 5.1.4 to my harddrive which isn't recommended since
> it's a live cd. unfortunately, it was the only linux so far that ran
> my laptop stablely. livecd worked fine for sound, detected my audigy2
> zs pcmcia. after the hdinstall some music apps complain that they
> cannot find the mixer, kde, madplay, rexima. alsamixer, mpg321,
> kplayer work fine. since i'm getting an error message to the effect
> that /dev/dsp is missing, would it be as simple as linking this
> to /dev/snd/?

No.  The apps complaining about /dev/dsp are trying to use the obsolete
OSS mixer API, while /dev/snd/* are ALSA devices that are not to be
accessed directly by apps - they're supposed to go through alsa-lib.

> . that's my problem if i'm on the right track here. i've got 2
> soundcards, the audigy is configured as the default, now which device
> in /dev/snd is my main mixer. i have a feeling it got to have a '0' at
> the end since that signifies the default card but after that i'm lost.

No, that's not the problem.

Try to configure the problematic apps to use ALSA if they support it, or
try to run them with the aoss wrapper.  If those fail then load
snd_mixer_oss and snd_pcm_oss and access to /dev/dsp will work.