On Sat, 2006-05-20 at 23:34 -0600, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> In either case, it would seem that only one program at a time could have
>  /dev/dsp open at a time (again is that true?)

/dev/dsp is not an ALSA device, it's a legacy OSS interface that
bypasses all the useful features of ALSA.

> And finally (what I was really looking for in the previous postings)
> is there any way around this limitation?

Use apps that support ALSA natively.  Continue to pressure proprietary
vendors like Skype and Macromedia to fix their broken software.  If you
must use legacy OSS apps try to run them under aoss.

Lee