Lee Revell wrote:
On Mon, 2006-05-22 at 00:33 +0200, Ron Smits wrote:
Evening all

A few weeks ago my trusty emul10k1 card died. I loved that card. I
especially loved the fact that whatever I threw at it, all my speakers
from my 5.1 set would work.

Now I have a soundblaster live! 24bits the ca0106 chipset. Only when I
have a real 5.1 clip, will all the speakers jump into action. Reading on
the net about all the possibilities to use .asoundrc thingies to get it
to work (most don't btw), I finally gave up. When I want to listen to
some really good music, I switch to my headset :(

The ca0106 is to the emu10k1 as a Winmodem is to a real modem.  It's
barely supported and we have no good docs on it.

Lee,

The ca0106 is perfectly well supported in Linux. I have the datasheets for it. The problem is that the card is so basic. It has no DSP or hardware mixing. It has a very basic stereo sample rate converter, so it would not work with 5.1 sounds, so I did not bother implementing support for sample rate conversion in hardware, as it did not work for all channels.

The improvements to give this user what they want are all achievable in user land alsa-lib.
e.g. upmix, sample rate conversion.
In time the needed features will arrive.

James