On Tue, 2006-05-23 at 21:43 +0100, Taiyo Rawle wrote:

> > audio device during
> > > >

> > > USB was supposed to be hot-pluggable.
> > >
> > > Bug in the audio HW, kernel or ALSA ?
> > >
> > > No bad things (except for data corruption) should
> > ever happen
> > > if a hot-pluggable device is disconnected.
> > >
> > > For example, my external hard drive sometimes
> > incidentally powered
> > > of because of loose connector on the box, thus
> > disconnected.
> >
> > I don't know.  XMMS is not ideal for testing.
>
> My mistake, XMMS works if I select the emu10k1 device.
> aplay tells me "aplay: set_params:882: Sample format
> non available" on the USB card if I specify it with
> the -D option, but it works automagically if I don't
> specify any device.

I am guessing you used -D hw:X - this instructs ALSA not to do any
software format conversion, so will fail unless the .wav exactly matches
the format supported by the device.  -D plughw:x (or omitting the -D
argument) enables software format conversion.

> > What happens if you disconnect the device while
> > "aplay" is playing a
> > file, then replug it and "aplay" the same file
> > again?
> >
> > Lee
>
> If I unplug it while aplay is playing then aplay says
> "underrun!!! (at least 0.053 ms long)". I need to kill
> all programs that use alsa (like kmix) before the USB
> card can be used again, aplay works properly after
> this.

What error does aplay give you if you re-plug the device without killing
all ALSA using apps?

Lee