Hi!
  I just recently had the following problem. I used jack-only for some time
and then tried alsa again, but what ever software I tried (aplay, ecasound,
mplayer) with my good old .asoundrc, it told me something like:
  alsalib some error with pcm_conf
  I used my .asoundrc up to kernel 2.6.15 with in-kernel alsa and it worked.
Now I have 2.6.16, and I'm not sure, maybe it worked in the beginning. All
major alsa-parts (lib, driver, utils tools) have the same version, where it
was possible.
  The asoundrc mainly uses dshare-plugins to just combine a pair of mono-outs
to stereo.
  Any ideas on that one? Maybe I can get the exact error and post it and if
you tell me what else I should do for convenient analysis of this problem,
I'll try.
  Kindest regards
       Julien

--------