Edenyard wrote:
> I've recently changed my hardware from an Epox mobo (with VIA V82C686
> chip)to an Asrock K7VT4A Pro (with VIA V8237 chip) and have run into
> problems with getting MIDI data in through the 15-way D-type connector.

The VT82C686 chip has an integrated MIDI port, the VT8237 has not.
On the K7VT4A, MIDI is implemented by the SuperI/O chip.

> Alsa is compiled with via82xx and mpu401 (and alsi virmidi and
> serialmidi, for other reasons) enabled. The old mobo running Alsa 1.0.9b
> loaded snd-mpu401 and all was fine;

It didn't load snd-mpu401; the snd-via82xx driver handled the MIDI port.

> the new mobo refuses to load snd-mpu401 - modprobe fails, saying that
> there's no such device.

Is there any error message in the system log?

> Looking in /proc/ioports, I can't see any port listed at 0x330, which is
> where the Asrock's BIOS says the MIDI port is located and using IRQ5.

This file lists ports only when drivers use them.

> options snd major=116 cards_limit=3

With the snd-mpu401 driver, you now have four sound cards.

> ### With new Asrock m/b - no MIDI input working:
> alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx
> options snd-via82xx dxs_support=4
> options snd-mpu401 enable=1 port=0x330 irq=5

This line sets options for the snd-mpu401 driver, but there is no line
that would actually load it.  Add this line:

  alias snd-card-3 snd-mpu401

HTH
Clemens