From: Claude Yu
Sent: Monday, June 05, 2006 11:48 AM
Subject: Sound problem under Mandrake Linux 2006 installation - urgent help needed

Hi Support,

I am computer engineer helping a client to install his Mandrake Linux with problem.
Pls help!

I was running Mandrake Linux 2006 distrbution(free) consisting of 3 disks without great problem except without
sound.  Dual-boot option with Window Xp Prof smoothly.  But after installed it gives no sound in Linux. But there
is no sound problem in Window Xp Prof.
I need your advice.

I am giving you the following info:

My desktop specs:

HP Pavilion Celeron 466Mhz 128MB DIMM
sound hardware on board
video graphic onbaord
Hdd 40GB

$lsmod

indicated no snd-x drivers installed

$cat /proc/asound/version

showed Alsa version installed
Advanced Linux found Architecture Driver Version 1.0.9b

$ cat / proc/asound/cards

---showed no sound card----

When Linux bootup,  building processes showed 2 errors in [FATAL] flags

1.  Starting ALSA version 1.0.9b: (riptide) start servicce sound (Y)/(N)/(C) ? (Y)
Fatal: Error running install command for snd-riptide [Fatal]

Alsactl: save-state:1163:No soundcards found...

Can't open /root/tmp/asound.state-tmp: No such file or directory [Fatal]

Tried using Mandrake Control Center auto-hardware detection showed sound information as:

Name: Riptide Audio Device
showed driver used: snd-riptide
However,  Linux returned with error while initialising the sound driver:

Device /dev/dsp can't be opened( no such file or directory)

When inspecting /dev there sn't any dsp file existed.

$lspci |grep -i audio
showed audio controller Rockwell International Riptide PCI Audio Controller

I have also tried to download;  alsa-driver-0.4.1e.tar.gz alsa-lib-0.4.1d.tar.gz and alsa-utils-0.4.1.tar.gz and followed instruction to install.
But met error while installing alsa-lib-0.4.1d  ./configure  : configure:error:install alsa-driver-v0.30pre5+package first...
However i tried to look for v0.30 on your ftp site not found this version.

Furthermore,  i could not locate the exact manufcaturer of soundcard in your Alsa sound card driver pages so cannot really load the right
driver.  What should I do?

Lastly the bottom line is the system could not detect a soundcard.--- it always showed no soundcard found.

Pls suggest ways of fixing this problem and thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Claude YU