Hi Users,

Firstly, I would like to thank all the users that replied to the problem
I had with my Intel HDA sound. The problem was with a version of alsa
that it not have full support. I am still a novice linux and debian user
and the question I would like to ask may seem basic, so I hope you won't
mind me posting it here.

My current situation is this. I have an older version of alsa, which I
obtained using apt-get and then modconf to select the modules for
snd-hda-intel.

What I need to do: Reinstall the latests alsa drivers.

I have a few doubts as to what is the first thing I should do. I have
already downloaded all  required files for alsa.

I have found the following link which explains what to do:

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?company=ATI&card=ATI-IXP+southbridge+HD-audio+and+modem.&chip=SB450&module=hda-intel

However, I have all the "old" modules loaded using modconf.

What should I do next? DO I remove the "old" modules using modconf,
apt-get remove them and then install the "new" drivers and load then
with modprobe (Can this be done with modconf??)

Or is it possible to just follow the howto and immediately install the
new drivers, followed by using modprobe or modconf the new modules?

I am not sure, because usually with apt-get I can do a apt-get upgrade,
which will upgrade any older modules. I then just need to restart alsa
to get it to work.

Peter