I've now got spdif output working (after a full reinstall) I am using
plug:spdif as output device, and passing spdif_aclink=0, playback
works from xmms, but if i fastforward, rewind, or seek in any way when
playback resumes the time counter and slider control quickly move to
the end of the track.

the same problem accurs with myth, if i change channels when playback
resumes the audio goes completely mad and as a result so does the
video.

any suggestions? I dont get any errors in dmesg.

currently running latest alsa driver on kernel 2.6.15 (no in-kernel
alsa support)

andy