On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 00:55 +0200, Rene Herman wrote:
> Lee Revell wrote:
>
> > I use my 600Mhz Via C3 to play all kinds of DivX content with
> > mplayer. As long as I run it at nice -20 and use the OSS driver
> > (mplayer's ALSA driver sucks) it works perfectly.  I can even
> > download, compile, etc. in the background without dropping frames.
> >
> > Totem/Xine is way too slow though.
>
> Have you tried VLC?

Nope.  mplayer works well enough that I don't see a need.  Maybe I'll
try it.

There's a lot about the gmplayer GUI that pisses me off, but it plays
movies so well I just deal with it.

For example if you launch gmplayer from a terminal and exit with Ctrl-C,
it hoses the terminal (typed characters are no longer echoed) and you
have to do "stty sane" to fix it.  And there are some settings in the
GUI with bizarre behavior - like the "Panscan" setting is remembered but
does not take effect until you mouse over it.  Also if it's running at
nice -20, exiting with Ctrl-C will cause it to spin in a loop hanging
the machine for 10-15 seconds.  But I'm used to these by now.

Lee