I was able to gather enough data to properly go through all the options
for my chipset and codecs. I also found the bugtraq that perfectly
describes the issue I have with teh snd-hda-intel driver.  It would appear
that the Alsa 1.0.11 worked plug and play as best as it could out of the
box. Without real data sheets for the Conexant portion of the system, it
would take reverse engineering of the system to get drivers that handle
the PC speaker and Altec Lansing internal AMP.

Disappointing, but certainly understandable. As I am no driver writer, I
will now do the best I can to obtain the data sheets required through
either HP/Linuxant/Conexant so such developement could happen with out
guesswork. I am working my way up HP at the moment. ;)

Nick

--
Nick Ellson
CCDA, CCNP, CCSP, CCAI,