(added alsa-user back to the cc: - please don't email me privately for
tech support)

On Fri, 2006-06-23 at 23:41 -0400, Brian Keener wrote:

> On 6/23/06, Lee Revell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>         On Fri, 2006-06-23 at 18:13 -0400, akb
>         [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>         >
>         > if I can issue two aplay's simultaneously,
>         > and hear both sounds playing,
>         > does that mean dmix is working correctly?
>         >
>         > system has cheap motherboard sound (nforce2),
>         > and thus no hardware mixer.
>
>         Yes.
>
>         Lee
>

> I've found odd combination that don't work on certain hardware.
>
> My on-board nforce3 audio (snd_intel8x0) will play multiple audio
> streams through ogg123, but Skype and VMWare both take exclusive
> control of the audio.

It's a software problem not a hardware problem.

> With a Yamaha YMF724 audio card installed, I can have Skype, Vmware,
> and ogg123/xmms/whatever playing sounds at the same time.
>
> Neither card supposedly has a hardware mixer according to the
> documentation I have seen.

The Yamaha card has hardware mixing.

Dmix does not work with OSS emulation.  It only works with apps that
support ALSA natively.  Ask the Skype and VMWare developers when they
will be adding ALSA support.

You could also try to run the OSS apps with the aoss wrapper but it does
not work with all apps.

Lee