On Fri, 2006-07-21 at 01:22 +0200, Dominique Michel wrote:
> I am pretty confident at the Alsa guys have done a good job to get the
> most of the sound card and at it is no problem with the sound level
> inside the box. If it is the case, it will be a bug with the driver
> for your sound card, and you have to report it.

Right now the ALSA mixer uses arbitrary scales to represent volume,
which depend on the driver.  Some devices could be linear, some
logarithmic.  There's no consistency.  Fortunately there is work
underway to allow dB scales, which might help with this - at least it
will make the problem easier to analyze.

It's quite possible that Windows subjects all audio to software
processing or normalization, which could explain the inconsistency -
ALSA just delivers the audio to the hardware.

Lee