On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 22:25 +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:
> Hi Lee, if your there. I've seen a couple of guys having problems with no
> master control in alsamixer using snd-hda-intel driver. One posted to this
> list, but in HTML, and probably was ignored (quite rightly), and is using a
> Hasee Q310N laptop, and Gentoo. the other guy is trying to deal with the
> problem on the Fedora list, with some help from another guy. He is using an
> Acer Aspire ZWLMi notebook, with FC5.
>
> The hda-intel driver is supported according to the sound card matrix, but are
> there any odd problems with it? And why should the master volume control be
> missing from Alsamixer.

There's really no telling.  It's misleading to say "snd-hda-intel is
supported" because every single laptop and motherboard with
snd-hda-intel is slightly different and there's absolutely no
documentation on what the differences are.  Possibly the hardware is
oncorrectly detected.  It's also possible that these devices simply have
no hardware master volume and Windows emulates it in software.

All these users can do for now is search for information about their
machine in the ALSA bug tracker and hope it gets fixed someday.  (They
can also try the various model options for their codec described in
Documentation/ALSA-Configuration.txt).

Lee