Cefn Hoile wrote:
> THE BASIC PROBLEM
>
> I have managed to set up a debian system with Alsa recognising 4
> identical soundcards - C-Media USB Headsets. However, I am only able
> to address one of the devices by name, or by hardware address.
>
> One of these devices is apparently assigned the identifier 'default'
> by alsa. I can play back sound through this card using either...
> aplay sound.wav
> aplay --device=default sound.wav
>
> When I run...
> aplay -l
> ...it tells me that there are four devices, named...
>
> default
> default_1
> default_2
> default_3
>
> ...but using any of these other names default_1, default_2, default_3
> throws a pesky error saying
>
> Sample format non available
This naming scheme looks strange, never seen anything before that. I
think it is done by your distribution, but I am not sure. So, back to
solving problems:

"Sample format not available" - just means what it says. You have either
to use plug:hw:[0123], which does sample format and rate conversion
automatically (you should also be able to use default:[0123], which
gives you dmix/dsnoop on top, when needed), or choose a supported sample
format - this includes rate, channel count, data format (Little vs Big
Endian, 16 vs 24 bit, 24 bit packed vs 32 bit padded). To get aware of
supported formats, start aplay with -v for the default device, which
will print the software as well as the hardware sample format. And to
really use one of the hw:x devices, your file has to be in the correct
format, so just use default:1 for example.\

Greetings,

Stefan