Lee Revell wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 00:18 +1000, Geoff Shang wrote:
>> First, the problems.  We are experiencing two problems with the card:
>>
>> 1.  It seems that we can play multiple audio sources if the sources
>> use ALSA output directly.  If OSS output is used, only one source can
>> play at a time.
>
> Correct.  This card has no hardware mixing, and the in-kernel OSS
> emulation bypasses ALSA's software mixing which is implemented in
> userspace.

hmm, wasn't aware that ALSA did user-space mixing by default, that's a nice
touch.

> The only solution is to get the apps upgraded to support ALSA.  You
> might be able to work around the issue by running them with the "aoss"
> wrapper.

I downloaded alsa-oss but don't really understand what it's meant to do or
how it does it.  There was no documentation that I could find.  I'll see if
it helps anyway.  Failing that, I rather suspected that using alsa-aware
aps would be the solution to this particular problem.

Any thoughts from anyone on my compile problems?  The EMU10K1X card is a
bit flakey and I know there have been updates to that driver since
1.0.11RC1, but I can't get more recent releases to compile.

Geoff.

--
Geoff Shang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Phone: +61-418-96-5590

Make sure your E-mail can be read by everyone!
http://www.betips.net/etc/evilmail.html