On Thu, 31 Aug 2006, Lee Revell wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-08-31 at 21:32 +0200, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
>> Many of the current devices from say Edirol, M-audio or Terratec are
>> not
>> on the list
>> http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/index.php?vendor=All#matrix
>> which also claims to have seen the last update in March 2005.
>>

> Any USB device that is class compliant (no driver required on OSX or
> Windows) will work.  Non-compliant/proprietary USB devices almost
> certainly will not work.  This has not changed and is unlikely to change
> in the forseeable future.

Note that even if it is compliant it may require a firmware load. Many of
the Maudio cards do. Ie, the card itself has no software on it, except a
bare bones loader. YOu then have to load the firmware on ( at which point
it changes its usb identifier and your usb bus has to reidentify it). Now I
thing many Maudio cards in addition are not compliant, but my Maudio
Transit at least used to work and was a very good, cheap soundcard ( it
came off very well with my audio card test). I have not tried it recently
with the 2.6 kernels and the latest alsa versions.

> Lee

UBC, Vancouver,BC  |   Program in Cosmology |     [EMAIL PROTECTED]