On Sat, 2006-09-02 at 11:58 -0400, Geddes Munson wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am trying to get our college radio station to do online streaming, and I
> am pretty close. Running debian with the 2.6 kernel and the M-Audio M44
> sound card. It all works, but I need to run two different encoding programs,
> darkice for mp3 streaming, and realproducer for streaming to the college's
> helix server. Both work individually, but I can't get them to work at the
> same time, when darkice is encoding (live from soundcard) realproducer spits
> out the error:
>
> Error: Could not open audio device '/dev/dsp'
>

> When I run it. If I run realproducer first, darkice spits out the same
> error. How can I configure ALSA to allow multiple applications to tap into
> the sound cards inputs?

You'll have to use applications that support ALSA.  /dev/dsp is the
legacy OSS API and unless you have a hardware mixing soundcard, using it
blocks other applications from using the sound device, as ALSA's
software mixing layer is bypassed.

You might be able to run the OSS apps using the "aoss" wrapper but the
real solution is for your apps to support ALSA.

Lee