I've done a little more experimenting. It does not reliably alternate
between the working and non-working states with module reloads, that
was a fluke. It seems to be random, and sadly it also seem to favor
the non-working state. I've compare the contents of /proc/asound in
both states, and nothing differs there - in particular, codec#0 has
exactly the same contents, whether the module load was "good" and
gives me sound, or is "bad" and renders my computer silent. For now, i
just restart the alsasound init script until my sound works.

The only difference I can find is that when my sound does *not* work,
the mixer has a simple mixer control labeled "SPDIF".  My laptop lacks
a physical SPDIF port, but perhaps when this happens, sound is being
directed to an (unconnected) SPDIF output on the codec?

In the "good" state, there is only the "Master" mixer control, and it
can adjust the volume and mute/unmute my sound. The sound is also
automatically redirected to the headphones if they are plugged in.

Another oddity: in the "bad" state, alsamixer shows a "Master" and a
"SPDIF" volume control. I can adjust and mute/unmute them
independently, but if i close and reopen alsamixer, they will both
match the state of whichever I adjusted last.

--
Andrew Mahone
andrew DOT mahone AT gmail DOT com