On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 00:18 +0200, Jürgen Herrmann wrote:

> my goal is that applications can always use alsa hw:0:0 without
> reconfiguration, maybe this could even be automated via hotplug
> when (dis)connecting the usb device?

Applications shouldn't use hw:0,0 anyway, it only supports one app
playing at a time, and will fail if the sample rate and format don't
exactly match the device's capabilities.

The correct solution is for apps to use the ALSA device "default", and
for a userspace application (like gnome-sound-properties) to change the
"default" device when sound cards are plugged or unplugged or when the
user requests it.

There's no way to have apps that are playing audio when the device
changes to seamlessly switch to the other device though.

Lee