On Sun, 2006-09-24 at 18:41 +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Thanks Markus and all for the replies.
>
> My problem is that STK does not seem able to see the alsa plugins.
>
> In other words, when one uses -say- aplay it is possible to specify what
> device or plugin to use with the -D option, for example:
> -D plug:duplex
> as you suggest in the example.
>
> In the STK api for alsa I can only select one of the audio cards, in my case
> I see the following 4:
>
> hw:I82801CAICH3,0
> hw:I82801CAICH3,1
> hw:U0x4710x311,0
> hw:Audio,0
>
> The first two seem to be related to the built-in laptop sound card (intel
> chip based) (why 2 entries???)

Probably analog and SPDIF.

> , the third one is probably the mic input of the webcam and the last one is
> my terratec.
> I can only select one of these by number (i.e. I can select 1, 2, 3 or 4)

This is an incorrect use of the ALSA API by STK (It doesn't help that
ALSA has no good device enumeration API).  It should allow you to choose
plughw:* devices, but it only lists hw:* devices.  This means that only
sample rates supported by the hardware can be chosen.

> If I try to open the last one at 44.1kHz I get:
> RtApi: unable to open specified device(s) with given stream parameters:
>     RtApiAlsa: error setting sample rate (44100) on device (hw:Audio,0):
> Invalid argument.
>
> If I open it at 48kHz it is fine.
>
> In general, from the discussion I understand that the best (but probably long
> term for me) solution is to change my code to work at 48kHz, but for now it's
> really important to get the old code to work.

You just need to patch STK to allow plughw devices to be used, or give
up and run at 48Khz.  There's no other solution.