thanks for your reply.
i tried xmms,rhytmbox,mplayer,xine... all the same. even aplay!
i just give it a
aplay
without anything else, let it just play nothing , and it still happens.
also, same thing with ossemulation and the meantioned apps. every system
sound, every icq-beep, everything sets the volume up. to 99% not 100% as
i wrote before. i set it to zero, icq makes a noise, it back to 99...
dont think its an application problem, as everyapplication that spits
out noise seems to do this. even my beloved quake2.

        jonas