I'm keeping this alive... after all, it will work eventually... I can run
the oss driver at samplerates to 96k with 8 i/o, so it can't be the pcmcia
card, although it may be the way alsa talks with the pcmcia card.

This might not actually be true, now that I think of it:  When I run
hdspconf and try to change the samplerate, then close the app and reopen it,
the samplerate is still at 48k instead of whatever else I chose.  So, it may
just be stuck there.  However, the alsa drivers still xrun at 48k as well,
so something else is also going wrong.

In any event, here is the output when I run hdspconf:
Looking for HDSP cards :
Card 0 : HDA Intel at 0xd2500000 irq 66
Card 1 : RME Hammerfall DSP + Multiface at 0x8c000000, irq 169
Multiface found !
1 Hammerfall DSP card found.
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1107:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition '
defaults.hwdep.device'
ALSA lib conf.c:3493:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned
error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:242:(snd_func_getenv) error evaluating default
ALSA lib conf.c:3493:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_igetenv
returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:3951:(snd_config_expand) Args evaluate error: No such file
or directory
ALSA lib hwdep.c:151:(snd_hwdep_open_noupdate) Unknown HwDep hw:1
Error opening hwdep device on card hw:1.
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1107:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition '
defaults.hwdep.device'
ALSA lib conf.c:3493:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned
error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:242:(snd_func_getenv) error evaluating default
ALSA lib conf.c:3493:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_igetenv
returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:3951:(snd_config_expand) Args evaluate error: No such file
or directory
ALSA lib hwdep.c:151:(snd_hwdep_open_noupdate) Unknown HwDep hw:1
Error opening hwdep device on card hw:1.
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1107:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition '
defaults.hwdep.device'

etc..
etc..

Yet it works so nicely on my desktop with pci...