Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
On Thu, 2006-12-14 at 14:21 -0500, Lee Duke wrote:
I'm running FC6 on an i686 machine with a Creative Labs Audigy sound card. The speakers worked fine with the basic system. The ALSA Mixer showed information related to the sound card. The ALSA version shows as 1.0.12-2.fc6.

Then I wanted to add a USB Logitech microphone. I could not get that to work with the basic system. On Linux Questions, someone suggested that I needed to be running ALSA 1.0.14. I downloaded the files and did
./configure
make
make install (as root)

Most probably you now have installed two versions of whatever you
installed in your system (you don't say, alsa-lib?). By default
configure without parameters will install to /usr/local. The standard
rpm package in fc is installed in /usr (to see what is installed type
"rpm -q -l alsa-lib" if what you installed is actually alsa-lib). You
should erase whatever you installed before going any further.
I would not install from source. Rather you should try making rpm
packages of the new version (not easy), so that whatever you do will
match what fc is already doing.
-- Fernando

Everything looked great until I brought up the mixer. Now, all I can see is the USB mic. The sound no longer works on the speakers. Basically, the entire system is whacked. I'd like to know how to either get the sound card AND the USB microphone working or how to get back to where I could at least use my sound card.

Here's what I get.

       [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ rpm -q -l alsa-lib
       /etc/alsa
       /etc/alsa/alsa.conf
       /etc/alsa/cards
       /etc/alsa/cards/AACI.conf
       /etc/alsa/cards/ATIIXP-MODEM.conf
       /etc/alsa/cards/ATIIXP-SPDMA.conf
       /etc/alsa/cards/ATIIXP.conf
       /etc/alsa/cards/AU8810.conf
       /etc/alsa/cards/AU8820.conf
       /etc/alsa/cards/AU8830.conf
       /etc/alsa/cards/Audigy.conf
       /etc/alsa/cards/Audigy2.conf
       /etc/alsa/cards/Aureon51.conf
       /etc/alsa/cards/Aureon71.conf
       /etc/alsa/cards/CA0106.conf
       /etc/alsa/cards/CMI8338-SWIEC.conf
       /etc/alsa/cards/CMI8338.conf
       /etc/alsa/cards/CMI8738-MC6.conf
       /etc/alsa/cards/CMI8738-MC8.conf
       /etc/alsa/cards/CS46xx.conf
       /etc/alsa/cards/EMU10K1.conf
       /etc/alsa/cards/EMU10K1X.conf
       /etc/alsa/cards/ENS1370.conf
       /etc/alsa/cards/ENS1371.conf
       /etc/alsa/cards/ES1968.conf
       /etc/alsa/cards/FM801.conf
       /etc/alsa/cards/GUS.conf
       /etc/alsa/cards/HDA-Intel.conf
       /etc/alsa/cards/ICE1712.conf
       /etc/alsa/cards/ICE1724.conf
       /etc/alsa/cards/ICH-MODEM.conf
       /etc/alsa/cards/ICH.conf
       /etc/alsa/cards/ICH4.conf
       /etc/alsa/cards/Maestro3.conf
       /etc/alsa/cards/NFORCE.conf
       /etc/alsa/cards/PC-Speaker.conf
       /etc/alsa/cards/PMac.conf
       /etc/alsa/cards/PMacToonie.conf
       /etc/alsa/cards/RME9636.conf
       /etc/alsa/cards/RME9652.conf
       /etc/alsa/cards/SI7018
       /etc/alsa/cards/SI7018.conf
       /etc/alsa/cards/SI7018/sndoc-mixer.alisp
       /etc/alsa/cards/SI7018/sndop-mixer.alisp
       /etc/alsa/cards/TRID4DWAVENX.conf
       /etc/alsa/cards/VIA686A.conf
       /etc/alsa/cards/VIA8233.conf
       /etc/alsa/cards/VIA8233A.conf
       /etc/alsa/cards/VIA8237.conf
       /etc/alsa/cards/VX222.conf
       /etc/alsa/cards/VXPocket.conf
       /etc/alsa/cards/VXPocket440.conf
       /etc/alsa/cards/YMF744.conf
       /etc/alsa/cards/aliases.alisp
       /etc/alsa/cards/aliases.conf
       /etc/alsa/pcm
       /etc/alsa/pcm/center_lfe.conf
       /etc/alsa/pcm/default.conf
       /etc/alsa/pcm/dmix.conf
       /etc/alsa/pcm/dpl.conf
       /etc/alsa/pcm/dsnoop.conf
       /etc/alsa/pcm/front.conf
       /etc/alsa/pcm/iec958.conf
       /etc/alsa/pcm/modem.conf
       /etc/alsa/pcm/rear.conf
       /etc/alsa/pcm/side.conf
       /etc/alsa/pcm/surround40.conf
       /etc/alsa/pcm/surround41.conf
       /etc/alsa/pcm/surround50.conf
       /etc/alsa/pcm/surround51.conf
       /etc/alsa/pcm/surround71.conf
       /etc/alsa/sndo-mixer.alisp
       /lib/libasound.so.2
       /lib/libasound.so.2.0.0
       /usr/bin/aserver
       /usr/lib/alsa-lib/smixer/smixer-ac97.a
       /usr/lib/alsa-lib/smixer/smixer-ac97.la
       /usr/lib/alsa-lib/smixer/smixer-ac97.so
       /usr/lib/alsa-lib/smixer/smixer-hda.a
       /usr/lib/alsa-lib/smixer/smixer-hda.la
       /usr/lib/alsa-lib/smixer/smixer-hda.so
       /usr/lib/alsa-lib/smixer/smixer-sbase.a
       /usr/lib/alsa-lib/smixer/smixer-sbase.la
       /usr/lib/alsa-lib/smixer/smixer-sbase.so
       /usr/share/doc/alsa-lib-1.0.12
       /usr/share/doc/alsa-lib-1.0.12/COPYING
       /usr/share/doc/alsa-lib-1.0.12/ChangeLog
       /usr/share/doc/alsa-lib-1.0.12/TODO
       /usr/share/doc/alsa-lib-1.0.12/asoundrc.txt

What I installed was alsa-driver-1.0.14rc1.

Thanks for your help. I'm not really sure what I should remove and what should stay.

Lee