On Mon, 2006-12-18 at 23:13 -0600, Dan Star wrote:
>   have a Compaq nx9010 laptop with built in Southbridge Audio.
> Because
> it has a flaky head phone jack and the line-in recording quality was
> bad
> I bought a SB Audigy 2 ZS PC Card. The SB seems to have disabled the
> Southbridge because the notebook speakers don't work anymore.

No PCMCIA sound card will let you output to the internal speakers -
they're hard wired to the internal audio device.  This applies to every
OS.

>  But the
> headphone output of the SB is great. The problem is that I use
> Audacity
> 1.3 on Mandriva 2007 PWP KDE with all the updates as of 12/16/06 and
> line-in recording does not work. Audacity states "Error while opening
> sound device. Please check the input device settings and the project
> sample rate."

You may need a newer ALSA version like 1.0.14 for that device.

If your distro does not provide up to date ALSA packages and you don't
want to risk breaking things you can try a live CD distro like the
latest Knoppix...

Lee