Le Fri, 19 Jan 2007 08:28:17 -0800,
"ronan mcallister" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit :

> What Linux/distro do you use?
>
> Since I posted this I've been experiencing "..But you'll pay dearly
> for it" with an issue I have on Suse 10.1 and my inbuilt Intel 82801G
> ICH7 multichannel sound card.  My hope was to install and run up Linux
> and test the inbuilt audio software, but I can't seem to get even the
> most basic features to work -- I've posted elsewhere, but this group
> seems to be the most active.  I think the problem is not Alsa but Jack
> as I can playback wav's and capture audio through Alsa (eg aplay,
> amarok), but anything I playback through Jack connections (Ardour etc)
> is distorted - noisy - clicky and no answer found yet.  I'm not sure
> how to troubleshoot Jack.

Suse standard kernel is not optimised for professional audio work and you will
get huge sound latency with jack, but yYou can use a kernel from the jacklab
http://jacklab.net/

They are some pro-audio distribution as 64 studio  http://64studio.com/,
Musix, or even gentoo with the proaudio overlay
http://proaudio.tuxfamily.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

The advantage of those distribution is at you will get not only a realtime
kernel (needed to get the most of jack), but a fully optimised system for audio
work. 64 studio and musix are debian testing based and incorporate many audio
applications not in debian, and you can install all the debian softwares from
debian testing and unstable (as fvwm-crystal, I am tired of kde, I hate gnome
focus policy and fvwm is just so fast and so incredibly flexible). Don't be
afraid about the word testing, the stability of debian testing is like a
distribution as suse.

The advantage of gentoo is its documentation and flexibility (and it is
outstandingly stable if you just follow the handbook (it mean: don't mess
with the CFLAGS, just use the ones in the doc)), but it will need more
work to setup. Another advantage is on the long run: it is no dependency hell
when upgrading a gentoo system, only some time used by portage to compile the
programs.

Actually, I use mostly gentoo, and also 64studio when I want to try something
else. But I really prefer gentoo even if I recognize at 64 studio is a really
great audio distribution (it is the successor of agnula/demudi and of the same
quality, maybe even better)

About jack and distortion, be aware at it is easy to go in clipping when mixing
a few sound channels or using effects. You must can use a vu-meter as
meterbridge with the dpm option:
meterbridge -t dpm in_1 in_2
or even better, jack_mixer http://home.gna.org/jackmixer

Ciao,