Hi Jean-Michel Pouré!

 On 2007.02.09 at 12:04:53 +0100, Jean-Michel Pouré wrote next:

> I have two USB 2.0 Aureon MK2 devices, keyboard and mouse connecting to
> an USB 2.0 480 Mb/s hug.
>
> When plugin a one meter armored cable, the audio devices work perfectly.
> When connecting with a five meter non-armoered cable,
> I can hear clicks during play.

I don't think you can do anything about that. 5m is too far for stable
USB 2.0 connection and also too far for many 1.1 devices. USB and long
cables are no-go; though you can buy even longer cables, very few
low-speed devices work stable over them. I've seen numerous issues with
long USB cables; for example, an HP printer which wasn't stable with 3m
cable - computer was even losing the device sometimes. Audio cards
usually don't need high speeds and USB 2.0, but they should be quite
sensitive to cable problems.

There are some possible solutions - you can try to manage with shorter
cable, search for highest-quality cable, buy a good _active_ (powered,
cheap ones won't do) hub and use two shorter cables. Of course, there
are other, more expensive solutions, like using USB-over-UTP
transmitter, they cost over $50, but increase range up to 30-50m...

--

Vladimir