Hi,

since the years I put together my last computer, it is easier in every area of
hardware to find good components that also work on linux, EXCEPT on
sound-cards. Here are my requirements:

0) (solid) alsa support
1) hardware mixing
2) avaliable in shops
3) Stereo output, Support Capturing from Microphone
//The following items are considered more of a wish, not necessities
4) connected via PCI or even PCI Express
5) 5.1 suport
6) 24 bit
7) price less than 100 $/Eur

The soundcard(s) I used to use where the Creative cards based on the emu10k1
chipset (SB Live!, Audigy2). These cards were great, but they aren't avalible
in any normal shop anymore (there are second hand cards on ebay though). When
viewing *all* the soundcards in a big (german) online hardware store I found
either the card was listed, but lacked hardware mixing, or the card was not
listed, or the card was not supported (most promenently  the X-Fi cards from
Creative, which lack a driver, the situation has been covered on other
threads).

What I also don't understand is that I couldn't find many people alike me,
asking for some cards that work on linux and provide hardware mixing that can
actually be bought. Why is this? Some possible answers I can think of are:

0) linux people don't care about hardware mixing [why? software mixing in
linux is a big building site and was never capable to provide me the comforts
and possibilities I got with hardware mixing on the emu10k1 based cards.]
1) There are some great sound-cards out there that satisfy points 0, 1 and 2 -
and people have been good at just using them and not telling me about them.
2) linux people don't buy new hardware (but use their old sound-cards, and
they ever break)

Peter
--
If society fits you comfortably enough, you call it freedom.
                -- Robert Frost