On 25 Feb 2007 09:42:58 -0500, I wrote:

> I have no sound on my recent installation of Debian etch with alsa-1.0.13.
> ... The sound is on the Intel motherboard (chipset ICH7).

On 25 Feb 2007 16:47:05 +0100, Benjamin Eikel replied:

> I needed the 1.0.14 version too but I only installed the alsa-base package
> from experimental [1] and compiled the alsa-lib package from
> alsa-project.org. I did not create a Debian package from alsa-lib but
> installed it with make. This worked for me.
>
> [1] http://packages.debian.org/experimental/sound/alsa-base

I have sound now.  As you suggested, I put in the alsa-base 1.0.14-rc1 from
Debian experimental and alsa-lib and alsa-driver 1.0.14rc2 from source.  I
made deb files of these but couldn't install them that way because of
conflicts.  It didn't work with just alsa-lib.  I had to install alsa-driver
and run alsaconf.

I'm a little worried what sort of mess I'll have when it comes time to
upgrade any of the debian packages involved.  dpkg still shows libasound2
1.0.13-1 installed, but many of those files were overwritten by the install
of alsa-lib from source.  alsa-driver replaced files from the package
linux-image-2.6.18-3-686 and a couple of others.  I did save archives of the
original files but don't know if that will be enough.

Anyway, I do have sound now.  Thanks, Benjamin.