On Wednesday 12 September 2007, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
>Rene Herman wrote:
>>>
>>> No wonder its "quite affordable".  That sounds rather crippled to me.
>
>It still has a master volume.  You just cannot adjust the computer's sound
>relative to any of the analog inputs.
>
>> Latency-wise, I expect softvol is a non-starter always but if this is not
>> a concern, I don't know.
>
>Nothing needs to be scheduled separately; there shouldn't be any noticeable
>latency.

Unless the cpu itself is busier than a one legged man in a butt kicking
contest.

>> As to the capture direction; well, capture isn't widely used. You don't
>> need 192 kHz for recording, say, a VoIP conversation.

Nope, but ripping your cd collection might need it.

>The ADC is still as crappy as in earlier CMI chips, but the CMI8768's DACs
>have been improved and are as good as other good 16-bit sound cards.

16 bit.  Figures.  at a 30 dollar bill, one doesn't get much monotonicity.
The 24 bit blurb on the box might mean it outputs 24 bits, but one would be
ahead to just throw away the LSByte & be done with it.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)