On 2007-09-25 16:42, Bill Unruh wrote:
> Sorry, exactly what usb card is it?

Tascam US-122 USB soundcard

 http://www.tascam.com/details;39,15,68.html

> > FWIW I took the hard drive out of my old 32bit/2.6.22 kernel
> > system (VIA K8 / AMD2800+ uniprocessor) and put into my new
> > nForce4 / AMD6000+ SMP processor system and, sure enough, the
> > sound is now distorted. So exactly the same driver + kernel +
> > apps (that worked fine in my older VIA system) in a different
> > mainboard + CPU environment now has unusable distorted sound
> > out the USB soundcard.
> >
> > I guess my next step is to roll a new kernel with ALSA from
> > CVS, and if that doesn't work, I'll try the Opensound drivers.
>
> Why would you want to recompile your kernel?

If I have to pull in the kernel source (I guess) then I may as
well roll the latest kernel because it seems this mainboard I
have is only just recently supported, the nVidia driver only
started working for my video on the last update.

> Just recompile Alsa 1.0.15rcx and install the drivers ( make install)
> Ie,
> ./configure
> make
> make install
> in the alsa-driver directory.

I'll try that first. Thanks for the reminder, been a few years
since I've had to compile any kernel or drivers.

--markc