I have the M-Audio Audiophile 24/96. I purchased the card a few years ago on
the basis of recommendations on this mailing list.

I have never been happy with this card. While it works okay for playing basic
sound, getting it to do anything more sophisticated is pure black magic. For
example, I have never gotten full duplex to work.

The card does things in a non-standard way. For example, you need to use
Envy24Control as the mixer. Other mixers don't work, or don't work properly.
Volume controls in some apps seem to work, others don't.

If you search the archives of the list you will find that the only people who
seem to have this card working well are alsa developers or those who
understand every last line of source code in the alsa project and know all
about the sound daemons of linux, such as jackd, artsd, and oss. You will
find many people like myself that have asked for help and example
configuration files and get no responses.

Don't figure on installing this card, running alsaconf, and having a sound
system that fully exploits the capabilities of this card, it won't happen.

While sound in linux has come a long way in the decade since I have been using
linux, it is no where near plug and play. Be prepared to learn all about the
intricacies of alsa, and the sound applications. Note that many of these
sound applications don't seem to get along well together.

Perhaps at some point in the future, you will be able to install an M-Audio
Audiophile 24/96 card, and some super sound configuration application will
detect and configure it so that you can record a track in Audacity, have KDE
play a warning beep, and watch the whole thing in Baudline, all at once. For
now that is my dream that seems to be out of reach.

Also while the Audiophile 24/96 does sample at 96 KHz, the audio bandwidth of
the card is limited to 22 Hz to 22 KHz +/- 0.4 dB.

Darrell