On Tuesday 27 November 2007 21:09, you wrote:
> Nigel,
>
> sound is not working now.
> I ran report again and checked differences. There are 4 loaded modules
> missing:
> vfat, fat, usb_storage and usblp

I have vfat, and fat loaded because I have a fixed harddrive with fat32
partitions on it, for saving data from the various distros that may be booted
up. usb_storage may refer to a usb harddrive, or a digital camera perhaps,
and usblp looks like a printer, but nothing to do with why the sound isn't
working.

I must admit that I'm a bit puzzled by your problem. Your lsmod seems to show
all the necessary modules loaded, but you have no sound.

I don't know which desktop you are using (I use KDE), but open alsamixer on
the CLI (Konsole, terminal). Perhaps something is muted. "Master", "Front",
and "PCM" are some to look at. The "M" key toggles mute/unmute.

I'm sorry, but someone more clued up than me may be able to offer further
suggestions to resolve your problem.

I still don't understand why the alsa-lib which you say you installed, is not
showing up when running the script. I know I mentioned pulseaudio before,
having it mess up my sound on F8, but is it still installed on your F8. I'm
not saying it is, but could be contributing to your problem.

All out of ideas.

Nigel.