Hi Sergei,

> Well, I managed to change sample rate by editing as root my
>
> /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf
>
> file, this line in it:
>
> defaults.pcm.dmix_rate 48000

Yes, I have added that line to /etc/asound.conf and it overrides the
main one.  The problem is, if I set it to 48000 then I can play 48kHz
audio, but not 96kHz or 192kHz.  If I set to to 96000 then I can play
96kHz audio but not 48k or 192k.  If I set it to 192000 then I can play
192k but not 48k or 96k.

I would like to be able to play 48k, 96k *and* 192k at the same time!

Whatever it is set to, I can always play "unusual" rates like 49kHz,
50kHz, 51kHz, etc.

> The fact that HDA_INTEL cards mixers do not have sample rate control
> is a bug IMO - because, say, M-Audio Revolution mixer _does_ have
> such a mixer control.

Are you sure this isn't just a limitation of the hardware?  I know this
used to work fine on my old SB Audigy, but I didn't have to use dmix on
that because the hardware supported mixing.

Cheers,
Adam.