> The problem is that I can't tell which is which.  Every time the system
> boots the cards move around.
>
> Since they're identical I can't tell them by usbid:
> athena:/proc/asound# cat card[01]/usbid
> 0d8c:0001
> 0d8c:0001
>
> [...]
>
> Is there some machine readable way to tell these cards apart?

AFAIK each USB device has a unique serial number.  lsusb -v should
display this, and it's probably available through sysfs.  I'm not sure
how you could tell ALSA to order devices based on this, but as it's
possibly the only way to tell devices apart that's where I'd start.

Alternatively you seem to have the devices plugged into the same "hub"
(i.e. two USB ports next to each other.)  If you have more ports
available on your motherboard, you could try different ports, as putting
each device on a different hub *may* ensure the hub numbers are
consistent across a restart (but if devices change order, there's a
chance that the hubs may change order too.)

The unique serial number is definitely the way to go if you can figure
out how to get ALSA to use it.  (I think udev can, but I don't know that
ALSA uses udev.)

Cheers,
Adam.