Lee Revell wrote:
> > What switch would that be? Some configuration option in ALSA? If so,
> > how do I turn it off? I have not turned it on by intention.

> It's a mixer element.  Run alsamixer (or any other mixer app) and mute
> Mic playback.

Ok, I'm slowly getting there ... so the "Mic" element in alsamixer does
NOT control microphone volume for recording, but for loopback playback?

As mentioned in my first posting, if I mute the left channel of "Mic"
and both channels of "Line", then I do not get that high pitched sound.
So, do I understand it right, that the solution is to just mute them
then and be done with it? I haven't experienced something like that
with all the sound cards I had previously.

But I'm still looking for a solution for the system beep, as living
without it is a bit annoying as I use it heavily for getting notified
of emails and people requesting me on IM.

Greetings,
Stefan

--
Stefan Bellon