This is normal.  The alsa-oss package is a wrapper for non-alsa
applications.  The snd-seq-oss and snd-pcm_oss are drivers that help
translate OSS calls to ALSA at the kernel level, whereas the alsa-oss
package contains a library that converts OSS system calls to alsa system
calls.  The driver version is better for applications that need direct
hardware control, the alsa-oss libraries are better for sharing the
sound codec between multiple applications.

Tobin

On Mon, 2008-03-17 at 16:24 -0400, Davd Topper wrote:

> I've just apt-got a few alsa packages and out of habit installed the
> alsa-oss package.  I've since removed that package and reinstalled.  But
> lsmod still shows:
>
> snd                    54660  23
> snd_atiixp_modem,snd_via82xx_modem,snd_intel8x0m,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
>

> Does this mean that the package manager did not remove the alsa-oss
> package?  Or is this normal behavior for the snd / alsa module under Ubuntu?
>
> I'm asking because I want to make sure my apps interface via ALSA calls
> at not OSS ones for the time being.  IE., I want to see errors if I make
> any kind of an OSS call.
>
> Thanks,
>
> DT

Tobin Davis