On 27-04-08 02:08, Sergei Steshenko wrote:

>>> How do I change sample rate ?
>> By opening the device with the desired paramters. aplay/arecord -r <rate>,
>> specifically for the reference utilities.

> Suppose I want to run, say, 'mplayer' or 'vlc'.
>
> How do I change sample rate (the physical one, not through resampling)
> in such a case ?

mplayer/vlc will just set the rate itself when opening the device, to the
sampling rate of whatever PCM data it wants to play (as does aplay, if you
feed it a wav file which announces the sampling rate of the file in its
header). For recording, if those program can record, you'll be able to
specify the rate in some program-specific way.

> Why mixers for M-Audio Revolution have sample rate control and mixers for
> Intel HDA (on my two machines) do not have sample rate control ?

No idea what that's about. Maybe the card resamples in hardcware or
something and you can set the target rate?

Rene