There is another option, cheaper than Xonar DX. Creative has relaeased
PCI Express version of Xtreme Audio, which isn't based on X-Fi chip
but on CA0110. There is some support in Takashi's sound-unstable tree.
I'm not sure how well it works (let alone in regard to SPDIF support),
hopefully Takashi will be able to answer that part.

2008/9/3 Jason Gauthier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Jason Gauthier wrote:
>> I can't find many cards except for the Creative Labs X-Fi that seems
>> fit both.. and from what I read SPDIF passthrough doesn't work.    I'm
>> not 100% sure what that means. (Pretty new to this level of audio)
>
>>SPDIF was designed to transport two channels of 16-bit uncompressed
>>audio at 48 kHz (this is 192,000 bytes per second).  If you want to
>>transport more channels (4.0/5.1/7.1), the data has to be compressed
>>with a codec like Dolby Digital (AC-3) or DTS, and a special control
> bit
>>must be set in the SPDIF stream to indicated that the data is
>>compressed.  (Since nobody wants to pay for an encoder license, this is
>>mostly interesting for DVDs, which the audio data already in compressed
>>form.)
>

> Fantastic explanation!
>
> I'm not 100% sure where that leaves me with my surround sound project
> with Linux (and Myth) but it does leave me thinking quite a bit.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jason

Vedran Miletić