On So, 2009-01-04 at 12:15 +0000, Dominique Michel wrote:
> Le Sun, 04 Jan 2009 12:02:44 +0100,
> Tobias Gödderz <goedd...@uni-bonn.de> a écrit :

> > I have a laptop and use an Aureon 5.1 USB card from Terratec at home,
> > and my internal sound card if I'm on the road. I am, of course, too lazy
> > to switch the default soundcard manually, so I wonder if there is a way
> > to either
> >
> > i)  make the USB soundcard the default, and automatically use the other
> >     if the USB card isn't available
> > or
> > ii) use a multi device to dupe the audio stream to both cards that
> >     doesn't fail if one card isn't available, but silently ignores that
> >     and just plays on the other one.
> >
> > Of course I could write a script that changes my ~/.asoundrc if the USB
> > card is available or not, if there is no sane way to do it with alsa.
> >

> It must be also possible to use udev. I am no an expert, but I know that, if
> udev load your usb sound card before alsasound, no matter what is
> in /etc/modprobe.conf, the usb sound card will be the first one, that imply
> the
> default card.
>
> Most users do not want that and blacklist usb_snd_audio
> in /etc/modprobe,d/blacklist.

Hm. I tried using the index=n option, and it works in the way that the
order is preserved, but if card 0 isn't plugged in, even at boot time,
alsa still tries to use it, which results in:

ALSA lib confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find card '0'
ALSA lib conf.c:3513:(_snd_config_evaluate) function
snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:3513:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat
returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:3513:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer
returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:3985:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or
directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2184:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default

--
open STDOUT, "|-"
    and print "uJa tsonrehtP  lreahrekc"