On Tue, 3 Nov 2009, Y.A. Bolawy wrote:

>> Because of the lack of a mic preamp in the card, putting in a microphone
>> preamp is
>> probably a good idea, as otherwise the mic input tends to be pretty quiet.
>
> I assume that that is not necessary if I'd use a pc headset, but only
> if I would want to use a more advanced mic right. For now I'll use
> arelatively good quality pc headset.
>
> Also I wondered if the additional preamp wouldn't defeat the purpose
> of choosing a relatively small soundcard? Or are preamps equally small
> or some of them anyway.

Yes, some of them are. I have just built myself one that fit in  one of those
legendary altoids boxes (those are a brand of UK candies with the box about
the size of a deck of cards)-- battery powered.
In doing a recording this past summer, I discovered that if I plugged the
laptop in, I got a 60Hz humm on all the recordings. It was stupid as the
battery had a 4 hr lifetime which was more than enough for the project.

UBC, Vancouver,BC  |   Program in Cosmology |     un...@physics.ubc.ca