Hello ALSA,

I'm using a M-Audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard, running on the ice1712
driver. Everything works (I get output, and I can record) but for some
reason I can't adjust my ADC volume, analog-to-digital converter.

This is an issue because my analog source is loud enough to cause audible
clipping in the recording during certain bass-heavy passages. To be clear: a
full analog chain directly from turntable to amplifiers to speakers sounds
great, but the recorded file played back on those same amplifiers and
speakers (from turntable to phono stage to soundcard RCA inputs) does not.

After Googling I found out I should be able to adjust ADC volume with, among
others, alsamixer/envy24control/audacity. There's no sliders for it in
alsamixer (F4 for capture does show DAC0 + DAC1 but these affect output
volume) or envy24control (should have ADC0 and ADC1 on the Analog Volume
tab) though, and in audacity the slider is greyed out.

Puzzled, I upgraded (from 2.6.38) and reconfigured my new kernel (3.0.6)
from scratch but still no improvement. I'm running Gentoo.

Does anyone happen to know what's going on? I'd be happy to provide any
other information you need.

Sincerely and thanks for your time,

Martijn Schmidt