Thorsten and list;

>> The second is that "hw" does not handle the 24 bit word length, at
>> least in this context, necessitating the use of "plughw" to get to 32
>> bits.
>
> Thanks for the information. So I need something like this?
> pcm.usbplug {
>         type plug
>         slave {
>                 pcm "hw:1,0" # USB Audio device
>                 format S32_LE
>                 period_size 1024
>                 buffer_size 4096
>         }
> }

In my case, I just used the "plughw" device that Alsa created
automagically, which in turn seemed to handle the word length
conversion just fine.

For clarity, "alsaplay -D 'plughw:1,0' music.wav" worked fine without
any manual configuration.

In your case, I guess you could be aiming for always converting to 32
bits, which would be OK I guess.  In fact it might be worth
experimenting to see how the automatic rate adjustment works (or
doesn't).  Hmmmm.....

>> Daniel gave me a kernel patch he thought might help the first problem
>> and instructed me on its application, but that did not solve the
>> problem.
>
> Yes, the discussion has ended without real solution. So this is why I've
> asked here again.
> As soon as the China device arrives I can test if it has the same issues like
> your Schiit.

Ok, if there's anything I can do let me know.  I'm anxious to resolve
this matter!

--
Chris Hermansen · clherman...@gmail.com

C'est ma façon de parler.