Just to follow-up on this, I managed to get this all to work. I had to add
'channel 8' in the slave section, however now I can independently access
each channel. so

#alsaplayer -dchannel12 plays to outputs 1 and 2
#alsaplayer -dchannel56 plays to outputs 5 and 6
#alsaplayer -dchannel78 plays to outputs 7 and 8
#alsaplayer -dchannelALL plays to all 8 channels

I've also installed envy24control and can see output to the PCMS in
real-time.  So all is great....

with one weird exception...

#alsaplayer -dchannel34 does not send anything to the outputs. When I try
this, I can see on envy24control that the PCMs are active and playing
music. However nothing comes out of the actual cable outputs. I don't know
if this is a software issue or hardware. I'm leaning more to a problematic
breakout cable (since the software configuration is exactly the same -- at
least based on my rudimentary knowledge). Challenge with the breakout cable
is that they are hard to find, and I don't have soldering talent.

Before I go too far down the path of trying to find another cable, is there
any other advice or suggestions out there of what might be wrong on my
configuration? Is there any way I can reroute the output of PCM 3 and 4 to
another hardware output (like the SPDIF or analog inputs?) that would
output analog?